My favorite way to make tzatziki requires the best yogurt.
- Go to International Market and buy any container of kefir yogurt they stock.
- Pour the entire container in a bowl (about 2 cups).
- Grab a cucumber (about 6” long) and grate it on a standard cheese-grater letting the pieces fall on a towel.
- Squeeze the juice out of the grated cucumber and add it to the bowl of yogurt.
- Take 10 cloves of garlic (most people would prefer only 5 cloves) and zest it on a micro-plane.
- Stir the garlic in to the cucumber and yogurt.
- Cut a lemon in half and squeeze the juice into the yogurt mixture.
That’s it. Simple.
To cut the taste of the garlic add more lemon. This might be necessary if you use 10 cloves and your leave it in the refrigerator overnight.
I like to eat my tzatziki in a falafel sandwich (naan, falafel, tomato, tzatziki, hummus, and sometimes fries) or with veggie slices.