My friend posted this great soup recipe. Kohlrabi is definitely an under utilized vegetable so I thought it would be fun to try out this easy recipe.
Bohemian Kohlrabi Soup
Start to Finish: Approximately 30 minutes
1/2 a giant Kohlrabi or 4 medium size Kohlrabi, cubed into 1/2” pieces
4 Tbsp Butter
1 large Yellow Onion, finely chopped
3 medium size Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1/2” pieces
1 quart Vegetable Broth
Salt and Pepper to taste
Flat Leaf Parsley
1. Finely chop the onion and begin to saute it in the butter which you have melted in a large pot over very low heat.
2. Meanwhile, cut off the outside skin of the kohlrabi and dice it into 1/2” cubes. Add the kohlrabi to the onions in the pot with a few dashes of salt and saute them together for just a couple minutes. While they are sauteing, peel and dice the potatoes.
3. Add the entire quart of vegetable broth and the potatoes to the pot. Bring the soup to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, turn the heat down very low to reduce the boil to a simmer.
4. Add a dash or two of salt and your desired amount of pepper (taste as you go) and cover the pot to let the soup simmer on low heat for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes and kohlrabi are soft but not mushy.
5. Add more salt or pepper to your taste and about two handfuls of chopped flat leaf parsley. Stir the soup and let it cook for no more than another two minutes; ladle into bowls and serve.
Vote for Bohemian Kohlrabi Soup: It’s your civic duty!