“Let the great experiment begin!”
For 2 to 12 Players/Ages 10-Adult
Take 5 days to eat food grown or raised within a 100 mile radius.
Dates of challenge August 31 – September 4, 2009
Sign up (post a comment) by August 26, 2009 to confirm a spot among the players.
Your choice of local food. In this case, “local” is defined as anywhere within a 100 mile radius of Spokane, WA. ”Food” will be defined as anything grown or raised in the radius. You will also need a way to communicate your progress. Sign up for a blog and post it there, or email us, and we will post it here for you. Track what you ate, tell us where you got it, spread the word about delicious local foods and how to prepare them. Photos are always helpful. This is all on the honor system and nothing is worse than your own conscience getting the best of you. Announce when you have accidentally, purposefully, or otherwise lost the contest.
A bit more about food:
- Fruits: peaches, cherries, plums, apricots, huckleberries, anything as long as it was grown and picked from a 100 mile radius
- Vegetables: Lettuce, tomatoes, potatoes, onions, cilantro, peas, squash, anything as long as it was grown and picked from a 100 mile radius
- Grains and beans: lentils, wheat, barley, oatmeal, anything as long as it was harvested within a 100 mile radius. Watch out for any additives that did not come from the 100 mile radius
- Dairy: Milk, cheese. Watch out for additives. This can be tricky and just might knock you out of the contest
- Oils: we don’t have an olive grove, so that limits your oil intake.
- Meat and eggs: There are plenty of resources for both of these food categories.
- Sugar: Well, we don’t have sugar in our area, but use some local honey and you are set.
You win the game if you are the first player to make it to the end of the 5 day challenge without consuming products outside of the 100 mile range. There may be more than one winner. The winner(s) will receive something awesome, I guarantee it.
That’s all folks!
We will be happy to answer questions about this game. Post a comment or send an email via contact.